Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Three-Layer Corn Bread

Sorry, Dad. This is an incredibly boring post. I am only posting this because tonight's corn bread was a huge hit with the kids, and it was a heavily tweaked recipe in a library book. I can't post my notes in the book, and I don't want to forget what I did. I think Gideon had about 20 pieces.


Three-Layer Corn Bread


1 c. cornmeal (I used coarsely ground)
1 c. whole wheat flour (prairie gold is what I had; it worked great)
1/4 c. mixed grain cereal (but will just use oats when I run out of mixed grain)
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
2 eggs
1/2 c. honey or molasses (I used maple syrup)
1/4 c. oil or melted butter
3 c. milk or buttermilk


Mix dry; mix wet; mix together. Pour batter into greased 9x9. 350* for 50 minutes or until springs back lightly when touched.


It forms 3 layers. The middle layer is sort of custardy. This was a huge, huge hit with everyone. We started out with honey drizzled on top (heavenly), but laziness won over and we ended up eating it straight. The original recipe calls for white flour and bran, but I used what we had (all wheat, mixed grain cereal, etc.) and it was delicious nonetheless.


I doubled the recipe. Good thing.

2 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Detection Tool