Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Summertime Drinks

Here are some drinks my family enjoys during the summer:


3-2-1 Lemonade
3 lemons
2 cups sugar
1 gallon water


   


Thinly slice lemons in the round. Add 2 cups of sugar and stir to coat. (We usually use the potato masher and mash it all; this brings out the flavor.) Wait 10 minutes. Add 1 gallon water and ice. Stir. This is a delicious, refreshing, and stinkin' easy lemonade. If you are going to be storing any leftovers (huh?), remove the lemon slices.


   


Mock Orange Julius
1/2 frozen concentrated orange juice carton (I literally cut the carton in half)
1 cup water
1 cup milk
splash of vanilla extract


  


Put all in blender and blend. If you want it extra frothy, add ice and blend. (Note: do not add ice if you will be putting this into sippy cups. The tiny ice chunks just plug the valve.)


   


Lime Rickey (or, as my husband insists on calling it, Rickey Martini)
Juice of 1/2-1 lime
1-1 1/2 oz. simple syrup (boil 1 c. sugar with 1 c. water; store in fridge)
6-8 oz. club soda


  


Stir lime juice and simple syrup together. Add club soda and ice. Stir gently. My mom likes to drink this and reminisce about her childhood in Boston.


  


Iced Tea
6 regular tea bags (or 8 decaf)
3/4 c.-1 c. sugar
1 gallon water


  


Bring tea bags and sugar to boil in pot with water. Add cold water to pitcher. Dump contents of pot into pitcher. Add enough water to fill gallon pitcher. Stir, add ice, stir.


  


Tea aficionados will tell you never to boil tea blah blah blah. But this is the way my family has always made it, and my mother is known for her iced tea at potluck (or, in my denomination, potprovidence ). Of course, my mother would never submit to the 3/4 c. sugar. It has to be a full cup.


  


We really don't reserve these drinks for the summer. But they definitely do cool you down and taste delicious and summery.


  

2 comments:

  1. My DH loves orange julius and we don't have one in town. I will have to try it for a treat for him. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I started to drool as I read your post and I usually don't drink anything except ice tea. I'm coming back the day I make my grocery list.

    Mary

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Detection Tool