Thursday, March 12, 2009

Sick


   


This group is not feeling so cheery today.


  


I'm not superstitious. I'm not. I know I'm not. I even adamantly stated this to my husband a few nights ago, when we were discussing how wonderful it has been not to have sick kids this year. And honestly, I said, "And I don't have to be afraid to say this, because I'm not superstitious. I don't have to be afraid that being thankful for them not being sick is going to make them sick."


  


Apparently, it has nothing to do with superstition. Because I'm not superstitious, and they are all getting sick.


   


It started with Miriam (3). Every week after the AWANA (or, as Edee -- who is too young to go -- calls it, "I DON'T WANNA") meeting, we make the kids wash with antibacterial soap. This is because the first time we let them go, they got sick the next day. So now we diligently have them clean their hands while we try to see if there's anything we need to correct from their night's teaching.


  


But this time, she started sniffling before AWANAs. It turned into a cough, and then a nightly routine of her sobbing and wheezing and us fixing her warm tea and a cocktail of Benadryl and Tylenol before I rubbed her feet with Vicks and put some socks on her (it never hurts to cover all the bases!). She had finally gotten to sleeping more soundly.


  


Then, yesterday morning, Abraham (3) said, "My don't feel good. My need medicine." I kind of dismissed it as his ploy to try to get some bubble-gum tasting medicine, but when he was refusing dessert at lunch, I knew it was something more serious. Then he started turning pale, asking to lie down in his bed, and ralphing (ralfing? how do you spell that?).


  


Then, last night, it was Lily, and this morning Edee was in our bed with a fever (which she will not be again tonight. That child moves around more than anyone I know!!).


  


We're doing the usual: fresh pillowcases, movies from the library, reading stories, chicken soup for lunch, sticking to a strict naptime.


  


I sure am glad I'm not superstitious.


  


photo: the children lined up for church a few Sundays ago

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Detection Tool