Thursday, June 30, 2011

We're not in Kansas anymore...oh, wait....yes, we are

Specifically, we're in Topeka. Which, if you say it lots of times in a row, sounds Asian, especially if you add a "Hi-yah!" at the end.

Oddly enough.

AND we're all in one suite AND the children are all sleeping AND it's the same price we paid for two rooms and a creaky door last night.

Today's drive was long and flat and mostly ugly. I know Indiana, Illinois, and Missouri are populated.

I just don't know why.

But now we're in Kansas. Did you know there are beautiful parts of Kansas? There are. And I'm not just saying that because I have a soft spot for the state my dad grew up in and my aunt stayed in. If we had to live in Kansas, we could live in Lawrence and just never think about the fact that we would be TWO DAYS away from the coast.

Never mind. We could never live in Kansas. We could live on the coast and drive through Kansas every 5 years or so.

But I must admit we are barely in Kansas. I might be singing a different tune tomorrow when 400 miles later we are still in Kansas. Right now I'm vacillating between "We're off to see the wizard" and "We represent the Lollipop Guild."

The Roadkill Highlight of the day was a dead coyote. It was kind of a toss-up between the coyote and a dog, collar intact, that was probably loved to pieces.

Or maybe that wasn't love. Maybe that was an 18-wheeler. I really can't say. I didn't see it happen.

I'd better get to bed. I feel all peppy because we gained an hour on the road. Time zones are funny things. But I have a feeling it's not going to feel so funny tomorrow morning when everyone is up at 6:00 thinking it's 7:00.

But tomorrow (!!!) ... there will be a change in terrain and, hopefully, an end to this journey.

2 comments:

  1. I've only been to Kansas a couple times. If you drive north, you'd (probably) end up in Nebraska, which is where I live.

    Have a safe and FUN rest of your trip!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you're able to chronicle the highlights of your trip... the girls will love to hear me read them. We miss you guys already and continue to pray for a great time of fun, family, and refreshment!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Detection Tool